My website, http://www.encorecbt.com, is not displaying Flash swf’s properly (in fact, no swf on the web is displaying properly in IE8 — new laptop). Ends up there is an issue with Flash Player and the 64 bit version of IE8 — the issue is there is no “official” 64 bit Flash Player for IE8. Continue reading
I added a cockroach to my homepage; go the http://www.encorecbt.com and you should see, on random occassions, a cockroach scurrying across the screen. Just a little Flash swf file, the roach crawls across the screen (at random scales) and at random time intervals; each time he crawls across the screen the time interval increments, so eventually, the roach makes its appearence less and less often. Continue reading
As part of the eriecanalny.com project, I want to use mySql as the database. MySql is a php based database system, apparently. But simple php documents fail in localhost with a 500.21 error. The simple solution was to uninstall/reinstall the Windows feature for IIS CGI. Details below. Continue reading
This is more of a tech support article: I had a client, who complained rightfully that my Flash piece was painfully slow loading, and no fun even after it had loaded. And worse yet, it is a simple little piece. Long story short: My client had accidentally installed the debug version of the Flash player (Windows Vista) and that thing is slow. But it’s a simple fix: Uninstall the Flash Debug Player and install the latest Flash Player (non-debug). Unless you’re a Flash developer, there’s no good reason to have the debug version anyway. So, nothing wrong with the Flash piece, but the debug version made it no fun to play.
Rats. This is an easy one, but it’s always the simple things. The problem: My flash animation is playing absurdly slow. Go to my Erie Canal interactive map: It’s a travelling bot, that follows a randomly drawn path. In this case, the “boat” should travel along the Erie Canal in a nice smooth fashion. The problem is that it travels slowly, and the movement is jerky and pulsating. Continue reading
Did you know the max width of a loaded flash swf is 2880px? I did not, but something like this appears to be true. I was working on a 360 panorama, and using the Loader class ( Loader.load(some.jpg)) to pull in a Photoshopped panorama jpg. Well, the jpg is approximately 3150×150 px <!–more–>and the panorama chopped off the image at 2880px.
In this case, I took the cheap and easy way out … resized the jpg to be 2880px in length.
Odd though: On my Erie Canal interactive map, I have an interactive map of the Erie Canal. It is composed of several jpgs. Each jpg is loaded via a loader and then aligned onto a sprite. The total width of the sprite is over 12,000px (though no single jpg is larget than 2880px). I’ll bet the length limit is on a single loaded image.
I thought this was impossible but … while working on an actionscript project, I had created a couple of .as files. Simultaneous to this, I also installed a Flash debugger player, and Firefox Firebug and Flashbug. Long story short, I needed to uninstall, so I just did a Windows-Vista-Restore. <!–more–>Dang blast it, when the restore was complete, my flash .as files were gone! Not the .fla, but 3 .as files have disappeared.
I thought a Vista-Restore would only affect windows system files, and not user data files. Rats, and by the way, those files are gone. I even downloaded an ‘undelete’ utility but it couldn’t find the files either. Rats, rats, rats. I guess I’m just venting here, but it you know why, please let me know.